Total Pageviews

Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Desk Fountain of Rock and Water

In May of 2010 I was blessed with the opportunity to go back to South Dakota and speak at a Blessing Service for Paige Harbert.  Paige is a part of the family in Spearfish who welcomed me into their home as my journey of discovering who I am in Christ and my healing, deliverance and growth kicked off. She was graduating High School and asked if I could be there.  WOW!  What an honor and privilege.  As I thought about what I could tell a graduate just starting to look ahead at life after high school, the Lord gave me something that is appropriate, I think, for all of us.  He reminded me about two particular elements that were used throughout scripture.  These elements were used to honor God and to refresh.  Here is what I shared...picking up with the information about the elements.
 
These two elements are significant throughout the bible yet they are so simple and you can find them anywhere. 
The first is rock or stone or slate.  Throughout scripture, they are used in a number of ways including as monuments.
In Genesis 31, Jacob and his family set up a monument of stones and ate a covenant meal with Laban.  In verse 48 it says, Then Laban declared, “This pile of stones will stand as a witness to remind us of the covenant we have made today.”  In Deuteronomy 27 Moses told the Israelites that when they cross the Jordan River to set up some large stones and coat them with plaster.  Verse 3 says: Write this whole body of instruction on them when you cross the river to enter the land the Lord your God is giving you—a land flowing with milk and honey, just as the Lord, the God of your ancestors, promised you.  When you cross the Jordan, set up these stones at Mount Ebal and coat them with plaster, as I am commanding you today.
In the 4th chapter of Joshua, 12 stones were carried from the middle of Jordan River representing the 12 tribes of Israel as they crossed on dry land…to construct a memorial.
There were many times in the Old Testament that rocks or stones were used to build monuments for something significant God had done.
Then in 2 Samuel 22:2 David sings of his Rock: “The Lord is my rock, my fortress, and my savior my God is my rock, in whom I find protection.
Of course David slew Goliath with a stone from his slingshot.  David uses the Psalms in 18, 19, 28 and others to call God his rock.  These are just a few of the examples that the Old Testament uses a rock or stone as significant. 
In the New Testament Jesus talks about obedience to His Word as building a house on solid rock.  Matthew 16 Jesus renames Simon to Peter which means Rock and Jesus said upon this rock I will build my church.  Even though Jesus knew Peter’s coming failures, He still knew what Peter was really made of.
Other things that stand out in the scriptures regarding rocks or stones…
Christ is called the cornerstone that was rejected by builders…
Jesus was buried in a tomb which was carved out of rock and the rock covering the tomb was rolled away.  Rock is significant in the bible.
When the Israelites were wandering and were thirsty, God told Moses to strike a rock with his staff…and that brings me to the second element I want to mention in this blessing…water.

Moses tapped the rock and water gushed from the rock providing refreshment for the wandering Israelites.
When God wanted to cleanse the earth of all the corruption of humanity, he used water to flood the entire planet.
When we are baptized we are immersed into water signifying Christ’s death, burial and resurrection. 
Jesus says he offers living water in John chapter seven talking to the Jewish leaders…“Anyone who is thirsty may come to me!  Anyone who believes in me may come and drink! For the Scriptures declare, ‘Rivers of living water will flow from his heart.’”* (When he said “living water,” he was speaking of the Spirit, who would be given to everyone believing in him. But the Spirit had not yet been given,* because Jesus had not yet entered into his glory.) 
And He said when we drink from this water we will never thirst again. 

To me, the scriptures are rich with information about rock or stone and water…and really both elements come down to God’s provisions for His people.  He has provided through rock and rock is used to remember those provisions.  He has provided through water and water is necessary to this day to sustain life.  Through the mentioning of rock and water, may you remember and be blessed by God’s provisions in your life Paige.  May you allow Him to sustain you and may you never thirst again.

As a symbolic monument to those provisions in the past as well as His promises for your future…may this fountain represent the elements of rock and water.  (I presented her with a little desk fountain where water ran onto rock)

Proverbs 21:1 says
“The king’s heart is like a stream of water directed by the Lord;
He guides it wherever He pleases.”
How is the King of King's guiding your heart?  Are you letting him be Master of all?
Maybe you need a reminder of Who God is!  And who you are in Him.  Maybe picking up a little desk fountain or a bigger fountain to put in a place that you can see everyday will remind you of His provisions for you in the past and your Hope in Him to Bless you with the provisions in the future.  
Rock and Water...to remember...

No comments: