Total Pageviews

Saturday, November 20, 2010

11. Alpha And Omega


Revelation 22: 12-13  “Look, I am coming soon, bringing my reward with me to repay all people according to their deeds.  I am the Alpha and the Omega, the First and the Last, the Beginning and the End.”


Three times in Revelation, Jesus tells us He is the Alpha and Omega which is the beginning and the end, or first and last.  Jesus was with God and was God in the beginning.  Before all creation, Jesus was!  The Omega is the end.  Since eternity has no end, Jesus will be with us all the way!

When my ex-wife and I got married back in 1979 there was a Christian song by a group called Candle.  It was called, “Alpha And Omega.”  I cannot find the song now for the life of me, but the lyrics were very simple.  We even added a verse specific to the wedding.  As I look back on my life without the spiritual awakening, there’s no way I could live what the song calls for.  These are the lyrics:

He is Alpha and Omega
The beginning and the end.
He’s behind me, He’s before me,
He’s ever my friend.
Wherever I go, whatever I do,
He is my source and my goal.

He is Alpha and Omega,
The beginning and the end.
He’s behind me, He’s before me,
He’s ever my friend.
Wherever I go, whatever I do,
Jesus is my source and my goal.

(verse 3 added for the wedding)
He is Alpha and Omega,
The beginning and the end.
He’s behind us, He’s before us,
He’s ever our friend.
Wherever we go, whatever we do,
Jesus is our source and our goal.

It’s a very simple song, yet with profound meaning.  Again this all comes after my spiritual awakening.  No doubt that Jesus is the Alpha and Omega.  He is the beginning and the end. He says so!

He’s behind me.  I look at this in a couple of different ways.  It is Satan who tries to stand behind us, whispering in our ear and pushing us and prodding us into things that he wants us to do that are sin.  Yet Jesus is behind us fighting our battle and stepping in between Satan and us, slaying the devil’s ideas.  Jesus is behind me to encourage my walk forward.  The other way to look at that statement, “He’s behind me,” is that since He has been here since the beginning, He of course has been right there with me in the past.  Even the ugly things that I have done and evil choices I have made.  He has been there with me and in me as we have discussed. 

He’s before me.  He goes ahead of me and prepares the way.  He knows my day.  He knows what is coming, what situations I will confront, what conflict might arise.  He knows it ALL.  So He goes before me to prepare and pave the way.  Then it’s my responsibility to listen and be obedient to His call on my life. 

He’s ever my friend.  Well, you can’t deny that statement.  In fact we will never have a better friend in our lives.  There’s even an old Hymn that says “What a friend we have in Jesus.”  It’s amazing that He calls us His friend.  Another contemporary Christian song proclaims, “I am a friend of God!”  The creator of all things is MY friend and YOUR friend!  Just look what Jesus says in John 15 verse 14-17:
You are my friends if you do what I command.  I no longer call you slaves, because a master doesn’t confide in his slaves. Now you are my friends, since I have told you everything the Father told me.  You didn’t choose me. I chose you. I appointed you to go and produce lasting fruit, so that the Father will give you whatever you ask for, using my name.  This is my command: Love each other.

Again I just have to allow my heart to commune with Him daily and hang out with Him. 

Wherever I go, whatever I do, Jesus is my source and my goal.  That is an all encompassing statement, wherever I go and whatever I do.  That’s pretty much everywhere and everything.  1st Corinthians 10:31 says:
So whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. 

And the song says He, or Jesus is first my source.  That means He is the source of my strength, He is the source of my power, He allows me to be who He created me to be.  Secondly, He is my goal!  That is thee goal, to be more like Jesus in every possible way.  In relationships, in attitude, in thought, in action, in caring, in loving and in sharing.  The more we are like Jesus here on earth, the better prepared we will be when we meet Him face to face.

That simple song with such a profound message was a simple wedding song when we got married.  Today as I look at it, with a spiritual awakening, it is a call to live life each day in a more Christ like way. 

No comments: